Friday, October 15, 2010

Medical School is a lot of Stamp Collecting


All science is either physics or stamp collecting.
Ernest Rutherford, in J. B. Birks "Rutherford at Manchester" (1962)
British chemist & physicist (1871 - 1937)

So maybe I'm the only one who finds this amusing because I'm a big nerd, but after my past three weeks of Human Development which is basically a class based on "We know that this is this and that turns into that, but how it really works we're not so sure" I can sympathize with old Ernie, there. Now, I was a Chemistry major in college and will make my argument for Chemistry given the difficulty of chemistry concepts, but I'm willing to hand over most Biology courses to the stamp collecting side.



...just a side note, Lord Rutherford went on to win a Nobel Prize in Chemistry. Ironic, no?

2 comments:

  1. So Ernie got his Nobel Prize in stamp collecting, er... Chemistry huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, no, no, just not pure physics. Chemistry is enough physics that he probably wasn't too disappointed. After all, it is a Nobel Prize, right?

    ReplyDelete