Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The April Challenge



Since I failed miserably at the March Challenge (yep, miserably), I've decided to up the ante a little bit with the April Challenge. Since my typically lopsided cyclist's physique tends to favor muscles in the lower half, but the demands of the world generally require you to have more muscle in your arms than a twiggy fellow like Mr. Schleck; this month's challenge will be pull-ups.


In 9th grade I walked into the beginning of gym class able to do only 1 or 2 pull ups at a time. I decided that if I was going to make a difference on only one aspect of my presidential physical fitness test it was going to be pull ups. My dad built a pull-up bar for me in the laundry room and by the end of the semester I was able to 18 in a row. Not a bad improvement, eh? They do a lot for you in several different muscle groups so they are a good way to get some all around upper body fitness, functional even. You don't ever want to be that last guy in a group of people who is trying to run away from a pack of hungry wolves but can't get himself up into the tree for safety. (I don't know if that happens to you often, but if it ever does you'll be glad you took the April Challenge.)


My challenge number for the month is 40 pull-ups a day with a goal of 20 in a row. I might increase to 50 by the end of the month, but given my time away from the pull-up bar my arms are already a bit sore as it is.

Give it a try and see what you can do. You might surprise yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment