Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fitness comes and it also goes

Right now, the fitness I worked to build and used to win a race at the end of April is slowly slipping away. That's the downside of being in school. When tests come calling you have no choice but to answer. Unfortunately, I missed out on the Pedal for Proceeds (I trusted the weather forecast for thunderstorms and it turned out to be a nice day--I wasn't very happy). It would have been my last chance to capitalize on my mini-peak that I reached for the Whitnall Classic.

Instead, I've spent the last three weeks making sure I'm on top of school. I guess you could say I've been in my "build period" for Final Exams. This relegates my bike training back to the same and will set me back a bit in my summer plans. Hopefully I'll be able to use June to my advantage and meet Superweek with the same success that I managed in the early season. However, it means that when the State Road Championships come in two weeks, I won't be quite the contender that I hoped to be. Of course, it will be worth it because even if I get dropped in that race I won't be dropping out of medical school.

I'll just look at this as one of my hill-climbs on the way to winning this four year stage race, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment