Thursday, September 2, 2010

Today is my bike's birthday

One year ago on this day I had my first fateful ride on my faithful steed. It was a short ride but transforming. My Scott CR1 is the first all carbon rig that I've every owned or even ridden for that matter. After trading in my 2004 Marin Argenta it was like graduating from a bomber to a fighter jet. The Marin was a great first bike, faithful, durable and a smooth ride. However, moving to my Scott taught me to appreciate the racy feel that a well built frame can really give you.



It's not a pure race machine with a little more upright geometry than most race bikes, but it has a shorter wheelbase that makes it snappy and quick like a fox. Yet, it still manages to stay stable even when barreling downhill at speeds most people only go with an engine to propel them.






Some highlights of my past year of bike riding on this new speed machine of mine include my epic bike adventure, my first experiences in road racing (including a 2nd place finish at the season opener), climbing in the mountains and hitting my new all time max speed... 55 MPH!




So today, I say happy birthday to my bike. After one year of riding He is now 3097 miles old .





And after a long summer season of riding I was thinking. You know it's been a good cycling season when...



1) You have tan lines that will last until next season.


2) Anything below 20 MPH feels a little slow.


3) "False flats" really do feel flat.


4) Your bike is kind of dirty (because you've been too busy riding it and it's hard to clean while the pedals and wheels are spinning)


5) 25 miles or less now constitutes a "short ride"


6) When you don't answer your phone people just assume you're out for a ride.


7) You can now ride without your hands, take off your jacket, check your heart rate, drink your water and carve a turkey all at the same time without stopping.


8) Sunglasses are no longer an accessory, but an extension of your body


9) You've graduated from calling your cycling shorts "shorts" and now refer to them as "bibs" or "knicks"


10) Your resting heart rate is now officially classified as bradycardia.





But most of all you know it's been a great season when more than a couple days without a ride truly feels like an eternity. Here's to riding as much as possible as often as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh. There's nothing better than a Trusty (or in my case Rusty) Steed. I'm hoping to make the jump to carbon next year and hope it makes as big a difference as you describe.

    Oh, and you can put me down for #1, #4, #5, #6, #8 and #10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh give me a home where the bicycles roll,
    in the mountains where the road bikes play.

    With 2% up and 12% down
    and the tailwinds blowing all day.

    Home, home on my bike.
    Where the carbon and steel will play

    And seldom is seen a car or a truck,
    while my wheels keep spinning all day

    ReplyDelete