Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Bring on the Brothers Schleck!

Where have these guys been all year? For two standout members of the pro peloton, the Schleck brothers have been disappointingly absent from the spotlight and the podium in a year where Team Saxo Bank has had amazing success. Cancellera dominated the cobbled classics. Chris Anker Sørensen took a stage at the Giro (on the Terminillo no less) and Richie Porte rocked it in pink for an impressive chunk of time. JJ Haedo has a couple stage wins notched in his bike and Jens...well he's still alive and kicking, ready to light up the peloton even after his nasty crash in le Tour last year.

Yet, for one reason or another the Schleck brothers have been sadly invisible for the most part. Until now that is! Big brother Frank is starting the fire with his second win for the season and pretty soon I think that Andy will follow. Admittedly they've had a lot on their plates. Frank got married and had a baby. Andy got hit by a car. But those are just little bumps in the road and I think the brothers can be ready to roll come July.

While watching the Tour of California I was having a lot of doubts about Andy. Following last year's TdF he was my favorite for the overall win this year, especially with the help of his brother Frank and the support of his excellent team. The Schleck brothers are a particular favorite of mine because I can't help but imagine myself in their shoes with my little brother. It's like a dream come true and to be really honest I'm pretty jealous of them. It seems pretty close to how I think it would play out for me too...Start cycling career. Ride lots with little brother. Little brother takes over and becomes the stronger cyclist and voila, a recipe for a lot of fun and a great team to ride with. I love seeing the way that they work with and for each other in races, like when fighting with Contador last year for Frank's stage win and then again on Mont Ventoux in the penultimate stage. Although, it could have been even more interesting to see what would have happened if Andy would have just taken off and tried to attack Contador alone rather than dragging Frank up the mountain.

Anyway, with that aside put aside, I've been somewhat worried about the Schlecks this season. Andy in particular had a pretty dismal spring with a very weak showing in the Ardennes, and less than impressive climbing in California. Nevertheless, Frank has managed to show now that there is still time to step it up before the prologue kicks off the Tour...which happens to be just 18 days away. I'm not going to give up just yet. I'm still counting on Andy, so I hope that he doesn't disappoint. Woohoo! Go Schleck brothers!

Frank Schleck (Saxo Bank)

wow look at those pipes...