Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Yoga is hard!

yoga.jpg yoga image by miss_hays

I recently started trying out yoga. It is HARD! really hard. I haven't made it yet to the move shown above, but I expect I'll probably be there some time shortly after I turn 80. oof.

Seriously, though, I know it's ridiculously trendy right now, but Yoga is a great workout. Especially if you find a routine aimed at "power poses" and getting your heart rate up. I wanted to try it so my wife and I went to see what DVD's we could use to learn a bit. I found a "yoga meltdown" DVD by Jillian Michaels. Yep, that's right, yoga: biggest loser style.

I have to admit I felt a little weird purchasing a Jillian Michaels "Biggest Loser" branded workout DVD given that I am not typically a fad workout person, but compared to the other meditative routines offered by gaiam I decided this was more in the vein of what I wanted to be doing. Although, from what I hear, the meditative poses are great for flexibility so maybe I'll be back for more later.

Admittedly skeptical I popped the disc into the DVD player when I got home only to find out that the "meltdown" was a serious kick in the pants, face breakingly difficult workout routine. And that's only level 1. There are two levels of workout on this DVD and I can barely get through the first one. Meanwhile there are these two small, but rock solid ladies along side Jillian as she leads the way, who both make me look like a whiny little baby. I sit there quaking and whimpering trying to hold poses like Dolphin and a chataranga push up as they seem effortlessly static in these crazy hard poses. And while I'm trying not to fall over, the "advanced" assistant pulls something like this!
Needless to say, I'll be getting beat up by Jilian a few more times as I am determined not to succumb to level 1. As far as level 2 goes...I'll report back when we get there.


(Oh by the way, if you prefer not to have rug burns then consider buying yourself a yoga mat. It's more than just a flashy accessory)