Thursday, August 26, 2010

New Territory

I am spoiled. That's what I think it comes down to. I've been riding all summer in places with mountains and nice newly paved roads with little to no traffic.

But seriously, the roads around the Milwaukee area are in bad shape. Even for driving! The lines are hard to see, there are almost no shoulders. The only thing good for cyclists is that most roads seem to have speed limits of 40 MPH or slower which makes it easier to stay out of the way of traffic.

The worst is that any place in the suburbs of Milwaukee is really congested. It's like they just left all the oldest stuff and kept going with only slightly less old stuff. Even the patches in the pavement are old. It makes it hard when I have limited time to get out and ride, I want it to be on pavement worthy of my wheels.

That's what I get for choosing a med school for its academic credentials, though, instead of riding locale. Pssh! What was I thinking?

With that said, I have found some decent routes. They just can't quite compare to what I've been brought up on. I rode this today:


No comments:

Post a Comment