Tuesday, January 25, 2011

"Just do it?" Or "Just say no?"




I'm sick.


What to do, what to do?


It's mostly been a head cold so far, but it's been a nasty one and has stuck around for 5-6 days. Hopefully it's gone before tests start next week. I've been feeling like I could sleep for a day or two at a time every time I lay down, but I feel better each time I wake up (whether that's a nap or a night of sleep). Which leads to my question, one that many of us have posed over time: Is it okay for me to exercise when I'm sick?


Most often I've heard the "above the neck" recommendation that if your symptoms stay above your neck and don't seem to move into your chest when you exert yourself it's fine to keep on exercising. I've always felt fairly good about this and have passed it on quite frequently. I've used this guide for the first 4 days of being ill, but it seems to me now that I just need rest so that my body can deal with its invaders. Modern medicine, despite all its bells and whistles, is really aimed at creating ideal conditions for your body to work its magic and heal itself. I know that may be disappointing to some of you, but look at it this way...I'm saying that you have an amazing body. And since exercise is definitely a stressor on your body, taking a few days off might let my immune system kick it up a notch.

I can't help but hear Joe Friel echoing in my head "it's better to be over rested than overtrained..." In a situation like this, it's definitely true. I'm in the middle of base training, no impending races or events. I'm not going to have any significant deficit in my performance come spring time because I took a few days off to recover in January. Although it means the ego has to take a knock or two as I admit to myself and the world that I'm not superman afterall. On the other hand, if I don't take the time off and keep myself sick I may see a significant deficit in my performance when my first Physiology test rears its ugly head.

That's it. Problem solved. Early to bed early to rise...

No comments:

Post a Comment