Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Doldrums of training indoors

It's that time. When outside is tempting you, but it's still not really riding time for me outside. It's killer. I'm slogging out some indoor workouts and spending time in the pool to try and mix up the monotony of base building, but it's killing me.

I have had some serious indoor inspiration lately, but it's on the edge of burn-out. What to do?

Stop!

Yep, believe or not, sometimes a well placed rest day can make all the difference. Joe Friel has been writing lately about pacing in races on his blog. I think pacing is true for your training year too. I've been hitting it pretty much full gas since January after a good month and a half hiatus. That's a good way to toast myself. Between that and the increasing mental strain of school it's about all I can do to squeak out another iota of discipline to be used anywhere else.

That's why I say stop. Not permanently, or even for a long day, but when it comes down to it, my first priority is not necessarily my fitness or race readiness. There are lots of other things that come first. God, my wife, my school, sleeping, eating, breathing etc. etc. That said, today became an unscheduled rest day. Hopefully that means the rest of my week will be more productive and less difficult to overcome the exercise inertia.

More to come on that in the future. Also, for those of you suffering through the frosty cold, snow-laden winter months with me I'll be writing about some of my indoor inspiration soon. Hang in there it's coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment