Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A good bike shop experience

I'm all for the local bike shop (LBS). I think it's one of the greatest types of business establishments that exist. You have likeminded community, easy conversation anytime you enter and lots of cool toys. At least that's true if you find the right shop.

I don't necessarily have anything against some of the larger sporting establishments like REI that still foster a good bike minded local shop feel in their cycling department. As a matter of fact I really like REI a lot and the way they run their shop (but a lot of that comes from how they run their entire store so we'll move on before I get too far down this rabbit trail).

Most of the time I find that the people who run good bike shops have a few things in common:

1) They like to bike. This sounds like a given, but just because you go into a shoe store doesn't mean you meet people who really like wearing shoes, right? But for the most part, people who sell bicycles, really like bicycles. Love them even. That makes for the start of a good experience, because you know that they like what you like and want to help you like it more.

2) They cater to a wide variety of riders. The best shops aren't just about the hipster doofus, the high tech roadie or the crazy downhill mountain biker. Although, stores this specialized do have they're own advantage and aura... The better LBS offers their gateway drugs (so to speak) of recreational cycling along with their high end goods so that there is a way for everyone and anyone to get hooked on this wonderful experience we call biking.

and lastly (but most importantly)

3) The best shops aren't trying to cram anything down your throat or sell you something that you will never ride or be able to afford or need. Most often when I'm faced with someone at a bike shop who has this mentality I leave shortly after talking to him or her. Don't get me wrong, I respect that they have to make a living and they do that by selling, but there needs to be an understanding of the customer. Because even if I'm not buying now, the way that I get treated will affect whether or not I come back to buy later.

It's hard not to like a shop where you can walk in, chat a little about the local rides or races, find out about whether the shop has any group outings and talk Tour de France without being asked how much cash you're going to drop while you're there or being constantly told that you have to have Product B when what you really came in to look at is Product A.

I once went into a shop to ask about a set of wheels I was interested in. I had done some research online and wanted to see them for myself. The shop tech gladly began to tell me about them and found a set in the store. He had a quick question for his boss who immediately ruined the whole situation by telling me I couldn't possibly want those wheels because they weren't nearly as good as these wheels that he uses and has for sale. Needless to say I left soon thereafter and haven't been back.

On the other hand, this is the minority of shops in my experience and even if each shop has one guy who just has to be the salesman of the year, you tend to have at least 3 others in the shop who would be willing to let you drool on their new Dura-Ace fitted Pinarello and then wipe it up for you just because they know you appreciate the beauty of it as much as they do. That's my kind of shop.

Props to the low pressure LBS where you can cruise in and out just enjoying the view as easily as freewheeling down a mountainside. Where they have something for everyone and most importantly the enthusiasm to share it with anyone who's interested. Do yourself a favor and consider stopping by one instead of buying your next gear from some warehouse you found on the internet. Even if it costs you a little bit more, you're helping out everyone by keeping these kinds of places around. Besides, no one is going to wipe the drool off your keyboard for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment