Wednesday, March 2, 2011

El Desafio de Marzo (...the March Challenge 2011)

So another way to keep yourself interested in your fitness goals during this crummy time between winter and spring (besides learning how to write things in different languages) is to set short term attainable goals. You might say I'm cherry picking here and taking the easy road to get some "results," but the fact of the matter is that you need to boost your morale any chance you get if you are hoping to make it to summer.

This whole "Challenge" thing started in January with the 100 push-ups and 100 sit-ups a day challenge. I survived the 150 kettlebell swings per day in February and now it's for something a little different.

I decided that after targeting my legs last month with the monthly challenge, I need to focus some more again on my core to help support my back as I crank up the cycling miles. To accomplish that, this month's challenge is two-fold. Both ab work and compensatory back work to stabilize.

The two exercises I'll be doing daily are the dolphin pose and the locust pose. Both are yoga moves that I learned which focus on the stability muscles throughout your back and abdomen. Perfect for protection on the bike. I will be doing 75 of each every day. If you'd like to join me, see more below for how to do the moves.

First of all, the dolphin. Start in a plank. Once stable, push your butt and hips into the air.



Like this...
Now, I don't usually get this high, or this flat footed. Instead, I let myself come as far up as I can without coming off the balls of my feet. I hold it there for just a moment and then go back to a plank. That's one rep. Target=75. (right now I can only manage 25 in a row before my abs feel like they are going to implode we'll see if we can get to 75 in a row by the end of the month)
Second, the locust. It's a silly name. I don't think this looks anything like a locust, but whatever. Start face down on the floor. Lift your feet off the ground and then bring your shoulders and chest up. Try not to strain your neck. I usually look at the ground the whole time to keep my neck in a more neutral position.



There you go. This one is a bit easier. But again, Target= 75.
The plan is to keep this going every day until the end of the month. Then I have one more accomplishment to put in my belt and save for later when I'm feeling the beatdown of a long training season. I can reach into my suitcase of courage and pull out this simple but not insignificant challenge and say to myself "YOU CAN DO IT!"
There you go. Join me in the March Challenge and beat the Winter Blues by having at least one little feather to put in your hat and remind yourself you can make it through until spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment